I am addicted!
It started with Serial and has blossomed into everything I can get my hands on!
I actually bought an app. If you know me this is a big deal! It’s called Pocket Casts and I love it! I can search for any podcast out there and I’ll find it.
I had no idea that there were so many to choose from, I have a list on TBLT (To Be Listened To) that’s as long as my TBR list for books. I think I might have a problem.
Anyways, I’m going to list some podcast for you guys in the hopes that you find them as entertaining, educational, thought provoking, etc. as I do.
- This American Life from WBEZ: I’m sure you’ve heard of it. It’s very popular in term of media. I think there was even a show at one point. It’s narrated by Ira Glass and features a host of talented people telling human interest stories. Serial is actually a spin off from producer Sarah Koenig. I enjoy this podcast because Ira gives you all sides to a story.
- 2 Dope Queens from WNYC: Phoebe Robinson and Jessica Williams are two of the funniest, smartest women and comedians on our generation. They have no shame and no filter. They invite comedians of all races and genders to make you laugh. I love the way Phoebe speaks in abbreviation! The two of them have such a dynamic, you feel like you’re sitting in the audience for each show.
- Terrible, (Thanks For Asking): This is new for me. It was recommended in a Facebook group for other podcast junkies like myself. This has become my new favorite podcast. Nora McInerny shares her story of losses in a way that connections you to her world and beyond. Each week she interviews someone how has faced loss in some way. They tell their stories and then tell you how life is now. It isn’t nice, there aren’t always happy endings. I think that’s what draws me in so much. Each one of us deals with some messed up stuff in our lives yet whenever someone asks how we’re doing we always say “fine.” It’s not fine and that’s ok.
- S-Town: Hosted by Brian Reed, this is another spin off from TAL. It’s 7 chapters about a small town in Alabama. Brian goes to this small town to figure out one mystery and ends of instead telling the story of the interesting man John B. I enjoyed learning about the dealings and on-goings of a small town. Being a city girl I have no frame of reference in regards to small town life. This was such a good series, I hope they can follow-up with more stories.
- NANCY from WYNC: Hosted by Kathy To and Tobin Low. This is a brand new podcast. It’s only about a month old. I love it! If you know me or read my blog you know that I am a HUGE LGBTQ supporter. It’s something that has always been passion of mine. Maybe it’s because I see all people as equal. Anyways, each week they feature random people with stories about coming out, political beliefs, and just honest conversations about life. I feel like it gives the listeners a chance to look into the lives of someone else and to learn what it’s like to be different or an outcast in some circles.
I could go on and on but I think 5 is a good number. Take a chance, take a listen and enjoy!